Monday, January 25, 2010

1.25.10

Yesterday we took ten huge steps forward but last night we took two steps back. I would say that is still pretty great. The doctors decided it would be best to put Renee back on the breathing tube. She was just not getting enough oxygen. They believe her vocal cords are swollen from the tube which is blocking her ability to get oxygen and they felt that she couldn't go much longer with it that way. They will treat her with steroids to take down the swelling and try again in a few days. They were also concerned because she had such a high heart rate and she gets herself so excited when she tries to speak and nothing comes out. Her muscles are still weak so she is not at the point where she could write what she wants so we are stuck with lip reading and that gets frustrating.
We have stopped all visitors for now and even Elda, Jen and I will just sit in the room in silence so she can stay calm and have as little stimulation as possible. I wish this was not the case because I know if someone told me that I couldn't see my friend, it would drive me crazy.
I will try to answer any questions you have and keep you updated but please remember to focus on all of the positive things we have achieved in the past twenty-four hours. Renee did wake up and answered all of our questions including knowing who she is. She even was a smart ass and joked with us so we know we have Renee back and there will be no brain damage. This is a huge achievement and although it is frustrating to see her uncomfortable, we know when they try again that we will be that much closer to having our Renee back! I BELIEVE that all of the thousands of prayers really do make a difference and every day she is getting better and better. Please pray for her fast recovery and that she will have faith in her heart and most of all that God will remove her fear. Thank you again for all of your support!
Audrey

1 comment:

  1. Just keep BELIEVING and everything will be fine. Audrey, Thank you for your strength and spirit. Thank you for helping make this easier on my Friend of 44 years, Elda. I only wish I could take her fear and pain away. If I can help in anyway please let me know. Just ask Elmer to give you Joyce's number and I will be where ever I am needed in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete